The 56th NUTS Annual, edited by Rob Whittingham, Peter Matthews, and Tony Miller.
Deep UK ranking lists for all age groups in 2013, top 12 merit rankings, all-time lists, results etc.
Price is £18 plus postage (£2 UK & Europe, £5 outside Europe)
7 Birch Green
Cash or sterling cheques drawn on a UK bank
For more details of the annual, see The N.U.T.S. Annual
About The NUTS
The organisation was founded in January 1958, based on the same lines as
the A.T.F.S., and similarly devoted to the collection and dissemination
of statistics in Track & Field Athletics. The first comprehensive U.K.
annual lists were published in Athletics Weekly at the end of 1958, and
these formed the basis of British Athletics 1959, which was published by
the British Amateur Athletics Board.
As the authoritative compendium on U.K. athletics statistics, and widely
known as "The N.U.T.S. Annual", British Athletics has been produced each
year since 1959. The title was changed to U.K. Athletics from 1974-1982
(when published by the N.U.T.S.), reverting to its original name from 1983
(once again under the aegis of the B.A.A.B.). The Annual was published
by Umbra Software Limited from 1993 to 2010 and by the NUTS themselves from 2011.
All-Time lists for both senior and junior age-groups have been produced at
regular intervals, and there has also been a thriving Bulletin, originally
entitled N.U.T.S. Notes but now known as Track Stats, and in its 52nd year
of publication. Follow the menu for information about publications.
The organisation is governed by its own Constitution under an Executive
Committee comprising Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and a minimum of 8
other members. These officers, who are all voluntary, are elected each
How To Join
Membership includes subscription to the NUTS quarterly magazine Track Stats.
Members may also purchase copies of the British Athletics annual at a reduced rate.
A membership application form is available as an Adobe Acrobat document.
For more information about membership of the organisation, please contact the
Membership Secretary, whose details are listed below.
- Part II of David Thurlow’s survey of Ian Thompson’s marathon career PLUS Who would win Britain’s fantasy marathon?
- Katarina Johnson-Thompson – all her personal bests
- Bertha Crowther, Britain’s first combined-events medallist
- Charles Lawes, the first mile champion of the modern athletics era
- Jack Freeborn, bell-ringer and hammer-thrower
- The 1909 International cross-country – rare photos
- Don Macmillan, Australia’s pioneering middle-distance man
- The career record of Mary Slaney, America's fallen idol
- Ray Watson, a rare double Olympic finalist of the 1920s
- Buddy Edelen, British-made marathon record-holder
- Chi Cheng, Asia’s ace all-rounder
- Robert Stronach, Scotland’s first hurdling star
- more UK all-comers’ progressive records
- European Championships – how the nations have fared
- the 70th anniversary of “AW”
- Pole-vaulting from bamboo to fibre-glass
Spreadsheets are available that complement the series of articles in Track Stats.
For details of how to access the members-only pages, please contact the webmaster
|Secretary||Dr. Shirley Hitchcock|
|Membership Secretary ||Liz Sissons|
Founding members (31 January 1958)
|Others attending||Stan Greenberg|
|Committee||The first meeting was held on 2 April 1958, the above named
being joined by Len Gebbett and Chris Lindsay.|
|Treasurer||Peter May was elected later in 1958.|
|President||Harold Abrahams C.B.E. was Hon. President from 1960-1977|
|Norris McWhirter C.B.E. succeeded H.M.A. in 1979, following
the latter's death in January 1978.|
|Sir Eddie Kulukundis succeeded N.D.McW. in 2004, following
the latter's death in April 2004.|
|Peter Radford became President in 2009, with Sir Eddie continuing as President Emeritus.|
N.U.T.S. OFFICERS (1958 to date)
|1958||Alf Wilkins||Mel Watman||Peter May|
|1960||Len Gebbett||Pat Brian||Alf Wilkins|
|1963||ditto|| Peter Hopkins||ditto|
|1969||ditto||Andrew Huxtable||Brian Nott|
|1980||Peter Matthews||David Martin||ditto|
|1985||Les Crouch||ditto||Sandra Squires|
|1990||ditto||David Martin||Andrew Clatworthy|
|1991||ditto||Shirley Hitchcock||John Powell|